Friday, May 8, 2020

Pandemic Dramas: Strangely Therapeutic?

pandemic dramas have me like...

I'm not a doctor.
I don't even play one on TV.

But I have heard that prolonged exposure to news media and and all this discussion of pandemics is bad for you. I won't get into the psychology of it, but news in a time like this has a way of making people crazy.

I have known that people watch dramas that showcase the issue they're facing, but I have usually avoided such content (at least consciously). Then in what I considered a perverse move, I started looking for pandemic dramas online: Contagion, Armageddon, Pandemic, 48 Days Later, etc. 

So I posted about this, and many of my friends showed their approval and understanding. Tony Barnes chimed in: "It's cathartic." 
Catharsis:
a: purification or purgation of the emotions (such as pity and fear) primarily through art
b: a purification or purgation that brings about spiritual renewal or release from tension
This article in GQ had a bit to say about it:
 
Well, this is a new one for me, as I usually get by well enough without it. So I'm not promoting the idea of looking for pain, but  there may be a way for this kind of media to do you some good. But, if they leave you feeling like shit, find something else to do.

What pandemic dramas would you recommend?

- Mr Benja -

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Mr Benja

Name

Email *

Message *